Pages

Tuesday 26 October 2010

What are you reading? Joe White, Peer Mentor Co-ordinator

At the moment, essay deadlines are looming - which means most of my reading is academic. Aphra Behn’s Oroonoko, and John McLeod’s Beginning Postcolonialism are currently glaring at me, each half open, atop my desk. I also came across The History of the English Novel today, by Ernest A. Baker, which (as boring as it sounds) is a great starting point anybody preparing an essay on any English novel.

When I’m not reading through course material, I have a soft spot for Stephen King, and generally try to keep up to date with his latest. Sometimes I have a browse through an autobiography or two - I’m halfway through Clarence Clemons’ life story at the moment. He’s the saxophonist from the E Street Band (Bruce Springsteen’s backing band. I love Springsteen’s music way too much).

If you’re looking for something to read, I can highly recommend: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, and Salem’s Lot, by Stephen King. The former novel is the reason I’m studying English Literature (even though it’s an American text), and the latter, after Dracula, is probably THE definitive vampire tale (none of this Edward Cullen nonsense). Read them, and love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment