Suggested Reading List
AMER20111: Sports, Leisure, and Recreation in the Modern United States, 1880-2000
* Deidre Clemente, ‘Made in Miami: The Development of the Sportwear Industry in South Florida, 1900-1960,’ Journal of Social History 41 (Fall, 2007)
* Lawrence Culver, The Frontier of Leisure: Southern California and the Shaping of
Modern America (New York, 2012)
* Brian Ingrassia, The Rise of the Gridiron University: Higher Education’s Uneasy Alliance with Big-Time Football (Lawrence, KS, 2012)
* Bruce Kuklick, To Every Thing a Season: Shibe Park and Urban Philadelphia, 1909-1976 (Princeton, NJ, 1991).
* Kristin Matthews, ‘One Nation Over Coals: Cold War Nationalism and the Barbeque,’ American Studies 50 (Fall/ Winter, 2009): 5-34.
* Steven Riess, City Games: the Evolution of American Urban Society and the Rise of Sports (Urbana, IL, 1991)
* Roy Rosenzweig, Eight Hours for What We Will: Workers and Leisure in an Industrial City (Cambridge, UK, 1983)
* Theresa Rundstedtler, ‘White Anglo-Saxon Hopes and Black Americans’ Atlantic Dreams: Jack Johnson and the British Boxing Colour Bar,’ Journal of World History 21 (Dec., 2010): 657-89.
* Travis Vogan, Keepers of the Flame: NFL Films and the Rise of Sports Media (Urbana, IL, 2014)
* Jeff Wiltse, Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America (Chapel Hill, NC, 2007).
Sam Jones l English Literature, American Studies and Creative Writing Programmes Administrator|
The School of Arts, Languages & Cultures l Room W113 Samuel Alexander Building |The University of Manchester |Oxford Road Manchester, M13 9PL | Tel. +44 (0) 161 275 8590|