Pages

Friday 5 November 2010

What are you reading? Dr Jerome de Groot

Reading during term is always amazing - varied and wonderful texts, a range of the best works ever written - but stressful, as there is never enough time and so the experience is always pressurised. I am currently blitzing on winners of the Nobel prize - Toni Morrison's Beloved for a class on historical fiction, Pinter, Golding and Heaney for an upcoming adult education weekend on British winners. Not too shabby, frankly. I also have Jeanette Winterson's The Passion to reread this week and my staple diet of John Milton, early modern revenge tragedy, Andrew Marvell's poetry and if I am lucky some secondary materials to ponder, prepare and respond to. Throw in a few journal articles I am reviewing, a doctoral thesis I am examining in a few weeks, and writing feedback on student essays, and my time is really quite full. I do have China Mieville's The City and the City waiting to be finished when I can, and Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem to read after that, but I predict I won't get to them until the Christmas break...

No comments:

Post a Comment