AMER20112 Sports, Leisure and Recreation in the US
There is no single text that provides comprehensive coverage for this course, but the following works will provide useful surveys of many of the issues covered in this module.
* Steven Riess, City Games: the Evolution of American Urban Society and the Rise of Sports (University of Illinois Press, 1991)
* Roy Rosenzweig, Eight Hours for What We Will: Workers and Leisure in an Industrial City (Cambridge University Press, 1983)
* Victoria Walcott, Race, Riots, and Roller Coasters: The Struggle over Segregated Recreation in America (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2012)
* Susan Currell, The March of Spare Time: The Problem and Promise of Leisure in the Great Depression (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2005)
* Jeff Wiltse, Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America (University of North Carolina, 2007).
* Susan Ware, Game, Set, Match: Billie Jean King and the Revolution in Women’s Sports (University of North Carolina, 2012)